Ninjitsu, the skill of the Assassin. If this is your goal the first thing you will need is the Book of Ninjitsu, this can be bought from a scribe in the Rokuon Cultural Center in Zento or the Ninjitsu instructor in the New Haven Dojo. This individual will also, for a fee, train your initial points in the skill, his companions will train the other skills you will need to become a fully skilled assassin. The ‘must have’ supplemental skills are hiding and stealth.
You will need to make a choice as to the rest of your intended skill set; Fencing is the weapon skill offered by the dojo inhabitants, but you could instead choose swordsmanship, macefighting, wrestling or even magery. Tactics is also offered, but you may instead choose to train poisoning. You should take their gain quests to gain skill to 50, you may only take one quest at a time.
In addition to the abilities found in the book of ninjitsu, there are a variety of weapon specials which require ninjitsu (or bushido) skills instead of tactics. Poisoning too is substituted for tactics on certain weapons. Detailed descriptions of these moves can be found on the Special Moves page.
|Special Moves Without Tactics|
|Weapon skills are denoted as follows (A) Archery skill, (F) Fencing Skill, (M) Mace Fighting Skill (S) Swords Skill|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Armor Pierce||(A)Yumi||(F)Sai|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Block||(M)Nunchaku, Wildstaff, (F)||none|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Defence Mastery||(F)Lajatang||(F)Kama|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Double Shot||None||(A)Yumi|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Dual Wield||(F)Tekagi, Sai||(M)Tessen|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Feint||(M)Tessen, (S)Bokuto, Daisho, (F)Leafblade,||none|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Frenzied Whirlwind||(M)Tetsubo, (S)Wakizashi||(F)Lajatang|
|Poisoning||Infectious Strike||(S)Butcher’s Knife, (F) Assassin Spike, Gargish Dagger||(S)Cleaver, Dual Short Axes, (F)Dagger, Kryss, Pike, Double Bladed Staff|
|Poisoning||Serpent Arrow||None||(A)Elven Composite Longbow|
|Ninjitsu (or Bushido)||Talon Strike||None||(F)Tekagi|
Also part of the ninja’s arsenal:
- Smoke bombs and egg bombs – A Ninja strikes and fades away, disappearing in a puff of smoke. Smoke bombs and egg bombs are essentially the same thing; smoke bombs are made by alchemists using eggs and ginseng while egg bombs are made by cooks using eggs and flour. They can only be used by characters with 50 or higher Ninjitsu skill.
- Shuriken and ninja belts – Shuriken are held within a ninja belt which must be equipped, also you must have a free hand to throw one. A blacksmith makes 2 charge shuriken, but by loading them into a belt and then removing them these can be combined into 10 charge items. Double click the belt and click the resulting cursor on your target, shuriken are affective at a range of 3 – 9 tiles and can be poisoned. Darkglow poison is sometimes used on these because of its increased affectiveness at a distance.
- Fukiya & Darts – These blow-pipe weapons work at a lesser distance than shuriken, 1 – 4 tiles. The fukiya is made by a carpenter, the darts by a bowyer. These too can be poisoned.
Talisman of the Fey
Additional animal forms are possible with 4 special talismans claimed from Heritage Tokens. When wearing such a talisman the animal form it represents is added to the menu when the spell is cast.
|40||Ferret Form||Gives +10 Stealing|
|60||Cu-Sidhe Form||Auto-self heal with bandages (bandages must be in your backpack)|
|90||Reptalon Form||Fire Breath Attacks|
Your training regimen beyond the 50 skill from the new player quests will depend to a degree on what supplementary skills you have chosen. Most guides recommend the following:
- 50 – 60 Cast Mirror Images, attacking them to allow re-casting without waiting for them to dispel.
- 60 – 70 Focus Attack. Gains are by difficulty of casting, not difficulty of opponent. If you are training a weapons skill choose an opponent you will gain both skills against, as illustrated on the ‘melee fighter‘ page. if you chose magery instead of a weapon skill consider acquiring a mage weapon and a less difficult opponent.
- 70 – 85 Shadow Jump
- 85 – 120 Death Strike ( or 85 – 110 Ki Attack, then Death Strike)
If healing is a problem use dog or cat form when not attempting to cast, seek out armor which has the hit point regeneration property and/or carry a stock of Greater Heal potions. If you have poisoning choose a weapon that has the ‘infectious strike’ special move, coat your weapon with parasitic poison and intersperse your ninjitsu training spell with special move strikes when your weapon and poisoning skills are high enough.